Updated 2012-06-21 14:25 This list contains current actions in the push for trans equality in Canada. I do not claim this to be a comprehensive list of current action and welcome submissions of other activity that is going on in Canada.
If you know of current actions please add to the comments or contact me directly via Facebook or Google+
- Bill C-279 has passed second reading and is being referred to standing committee.
- Human rights complaint against HRDC for not changing the sex designation on transgender / transsexual person’s Social Insurance file.
UPDATE: Canadian Human Rights Commission has agreed to hear the case and it is now at the investigations stage. Thanks for the update, Christin
- Motion to repeal section of the Air Transport Regulations was defeated in committee
- 2009 – against Newfoundland’s Department of Health over unnecessary obstacles to attain trans health care products and funding. the complaint was accepted, a report has been prepared, and it is now awaiting review of Commissioners to determine whether or not there will be an inquiry.
- Ontario Human Rights Tribunal has ruled that the requirement for “Transsexual Surgery” in order to change the sex designation on one’s birth certificate is discriminatory. Press release from the Trans Lobby Group
- 2012 – Toby’s Act received Royal Assent June 20, 2012. Gender identity and gender expression are now both part of Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
- 2011 – Human rights complaint against a farmer’s market in London that demanded a business owner fire a transgender staff member or she wouldn’t be allowed space in the market.
- The YWCA in Sudbury is facing a human rights complaint for turning away a transgender woman from their shelter.
- Has amended their human rights code to include gender identity.